EUB Positive Decision and Timeline
The NB Energy and Utilities Board (EUB) has approved NB Power’s proposal to upgrade to an Advanced Metering Infrastructure. The EUB concluded that AMI--smart meters and the associated communications network--is an evolutionary step towards grid modernization in Canada. About 80 percent of Canadians are already served by smart meters, which have become the new industry standard because of their far-reaching benefits.
Smart meters are essential to building a smarter, cleaner, more reliable, and efficient power grid. Our proposal was developed with customer expectations in mind, and we will move forward with this investment while maintaining competitive rates.
The meter upgrade is expected to start in the latter part of 2022, after the communications network is built and a small number of meters are installed and tested. It would be completed in 2024.
Once the meter upgrade is completed and our communication network is established, New Brunswickers can expect benefits such as more energy use information and high bill alerts. Over time, the new system will enable us to offer more benefits to customers, including more efficient power restoration and more convenient service.
The written decision is available on the EUB website.
When will I get a smart meter?
We expect to begin mass deployment in late 2022. It will take about two years to upgrade meters across the province.
Below is a timeline :
Will I have to pay for a new meter?
No, there is no surcharge for the new meter or its installation.
Why will it take so long to install the new meters?
- First, we need to build the communications network and prepare the back-office systems, and then test everything to make sure it's working as it should.
- Then, we'll install a small number of meters--that would most likely be in early-to-mid 2022.
- We'll test the performance of the system before we begin mass deployment.
- We expect mass deployment to begin in the latter part of 2022 and be completed in about two years. At this time we believe we won’t be able to start mass deployment until late 2022 due to the global semiconductor shortage, which is limiting the availability of meters.
When would I start to see the benefits?
- The initial benefits will be a portal where you will be able to see how much energy you're using.
- You will also be able to set an alert and be notified automatically if your usage exceeds the amount you've set.
- These benefits will come some months after the meters are installed. We'll be able to refine the schedule as we get closer to deployment.
What if I don't want the smart meter?
You will be able to opt out of the meter upgrade, with the understanding that you would not have access to the benefits.