On the Job
Before starting your next job
Call NB Power 1 800 663-6272 to:
- Mark underground lines
- De-energize and insulate overhead lines
- Raise overhead lines
- Provide warning signs for hazardous areas
Look for overhead wires before moving equipment or tools.
Workers should keep clear of all large equipment working around power lines.
Minimum safe distances
- Up to 750 volts - 0.9 metres (3 feet)
- 750 to 100 kilovolts - 3.6 metres (12 feet)
- 101 to 250 kv - 5.2 metres (17 feet)
- 251 to 345 kv - 6.1 metres (20 feet)
Underground power lines
Some power lines are buried as little as one foot underground. Don't take a chance. Be sure you know where power lines are located before digging. NB Power provides a line locate service free of charge to all New Brunswickers.